Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Good Ole' Southern Cookin'






Five years ago my family and I relocated from Colorado Springs, Colorado to Asheville, North Carolina. Life down south is much different than what most Coloradans experience. I suffered from culture shock initially but eventually fell in love with the southern ways and especially the down home good ol’ southern cookin’. Fried chicken, rice and homemade brown gravy, fresh green beans, and peach cobbler, could a meal sound any better? This particular meal has become one of my absolute favorites. To some of you this may just sound overly fattening but to most southerners this dish is a natural custom and will be passed from generation to generation.
On one crisp fall afternoon my boyfriend Luke invited me over to his house to meet his family for the first time. He invited me on that specific day based on what his momma was makin’ for supper. He wanted me to join him and his family in a traditional southern meal. Luke picked me up from my house at about 4:15pm because supper at his house is promptly served at 5:00pm with or without him.
As I walked through the front door, Luke’s hand guiding me like a young toddler, my nose was overwhelmed with the sweet yet sour smell of fresh, ripe peaches. My mouth began to water, and my stomach began to grumble. Luke walked me to the kitchen to introduce me to his mom. “Momma, this is Kaitlen.” “Nice to meet you sweet heart, I hope your hungry” she replied. I shook her soft, delicate hand filled with gorgeous rings. I looked around the kitchen to notice that each counter was filled with a different ingredient. Luke’s mom announced to me that she was “makin’ some fried chicken with some rice and gravy, some green beans, and peach cobbler, the best around.” I was delighted to hear that I was actually going to like all of the foods prepared. At first I was scared she was going to make cheesy grits, which is totally disgusting, and I still haven’t acquired the taste for those things. His mom asked him to set the table while she and I would finish up in the kitchen. She took the peach cobbler out of the oven and set it on the counter. The cobbler looked heavenly, a shiny glaze covering the top. She cut it into squares and the guts poured into the creases. The peaches were bright orange covered in little brown specs. “We are gonna’ let this baby cool while we eat, but will you bring the chicken and put it on the table honey?” “Yes ma’am” I responded. I inspected the chicken as I carried it over to the table. Its brown color looked inviting and I could envision the crunch that would occur when I took a chunk out of a piece.
It was 5 o’ clock on the dot when we all sat down for supper. Luke’s dad said grace, and mentioned how thankful they were that I was able to join them for this meal, “Amen, and DIG IN!” he declared. I started with scooping rice onto my plate and covering it in salty, creamy gravy. I decided to have a chicken leg instead of a chicken breast. As I picked the chicken leg up little golden pieces crumbled back into the dish. Luke passed the green beans to me and I spooned them onto my plate. My stomach was jumping inside, excited to eat all of this tasty food. The chicken was fried to perfection, the outside layer had just enough crispness and the meat was still tender. The green beans from the garden had a terrific snap but weren’t too brittle. And the rice and gravy melted in my mouth.
After we all finished our main meal, Luke’s mom brought out the cooled peach cobbler and home made whip cream. She granted me with the first piece and made me take the first bite. I hadn’t ever tasted anything like it. The whip cream provided just enough sweetness to balance the fresh peaches. The peaches weren’t soggy, they were the perfect texture. The brown sugar made the cobbler “bounce in your mouth.” I finished the piece and was stuffed. I couldn’t shove another thing into my stomach. “Thank you for this fantastic meal, I am pleased to say that this meal ranks among my favorite!” Luke’s mom was glad to hear I enjoyed her classic southern cookin’ considering I was from out west.
Southerners hold home cooking and baking near and dear to their hearts. That was my first “real” soul food I had encountered since moving. Although I am back in Colorado again, I will never let my love for southern food go. It isn’t always the healthiest but it sure is one of the tastiest.






No comments:

Post a Comment