Wednesday, October 6, 2010


My Obsession with Chocolate

Todays culture is surrounded by things that shape us into our own identities. Different social classes participate in many different things. Depending on age, ethnicity, sex, and social class, people tend to have their own separate identities that tie in to our culture. I believe that food is one of the many things that help shape us

into who we are. If I was out drinking at bars and clubs I probably would be someone in there 20s. If I had time to cook large dinners for multiple people I would probably be a house mom cooking for her family. If I went out everyday to fast food to get the cheapest items on the menu I would probably be a student out with my friends, but what does everyone have in common, what foods do everyone seem to enjoy? The simply rich, sweet chocolate comes into mind. People young and old seem to all enjoy a chocolate splurge every so often. Chocolate has become one of the most popular desserts, snack foods, and even a social food.

One of my most clear memories was when I was ten years old when my parents told me they were no longer going to be together. Divorce meant nothing to me at the time, but the word “separation” hit me pretty hard. I remember it like it was yesterday. My parents sat both my sister and I down in the living room and explained the problem to us using the most sensitive words in this delicate situation. I remember feeling hopeless, empty in-fact. One of the worst feelings, in my opinion. At the time, it was hard for me to believe ever feeling slightly happy again. After all the tears, things took a turn for the better. My mom took us into the kitchen and told us we were going to bake chocolate chip cookies from an old, simple recipe as if it would be a cure to our hopeless feeling. Once we took all the steps into making these perfect cookies, I actually did feel better. From then on, I started to look at chocolate as an escape. I relied on the rich taste to help me cope with stress and hard times making my problems seem like less vital issues. It wasn’t that chocolate could cure all my problems, but it helped prove me wrong that there wasn’t anything good in life. This one time, chocolate helped me realize that even during difficult times, you still have the little things in life that you can looked forward to.

As I grew older, I experienced new things. I traveled more with my family and visited places aro

und the world. When I visited Europe I found more exotic sweets, at this point it had just become a bad habit to eat and crave chocolate. Italy was one of my favorite places to go to because they are so fond of chocolate. I tried unfamiliar truffles, candies, and sundaes. I also visit California every summer with my dad and we always have to go to Ghirardelli factory. They have the best hot fudge sundaes and everyone goes there to socialize with their friends.

There are advertisements for food all over. Also, there is a movie called “Chocolate.” This movie showed me a new meaning to chocolate by comparing it to a sin. This movie showed religious people who are very disciplined and have different obsessions. When a women opens up a chocolate shop during lent, everyone in the town starts to lead away from there normal traditions. Movies, advertisements, and other media, show us that eating chocolate is a great thing. It is related to feelings such as love, passion, and is said can even enhance arousal. I started convincing myself that aside from the calories and sugars from chocolate, it can be good for you.

There are plenty of other sweets and foods out there, but chocolate will always be one of my favorites. It takes me back to my childhood and reminds me of certain memories in my past. No matter how old I am, I will always see chocolate as an escape. To this day I limit myself on how much I eat, but I will always have that craving and will go on my little splurges every so often.



Images cited:

Chocolate Strawberry

Ghiradelli

No comments:

Post a Comment